Lemon is the key ingredient in our preventative lice product line the Lemon Heads Trilogy. Some fun facts about lemons are listed below. Do you know any more?
- The lemon is native to Asia.
- Lemon trees produce fruit all year round.
- One lemon tree can produce between 500 and 600 pounds of lemons in a year.
- Once upon a time lemons were presented as gifts to kings because they were so rare.
- California and Arizona produce 95 percent of the entire U.S. lemon crop.
- Lemons are believed to be a hybrid between a sour orange and a citron.
- Christopher Columbus took lemon seeds with him to America in 1493, introducing the fruit there.
- Because lemons are high in vitamin C they can prevent the disease scurvy which was common among sailors stuck on ships for months. Even today, the British Navy requires ships to carry enough lemons so that every sailor can have one ounce of juice a day.
- The demand for lemons and their scurvy-preventing abilities hit a peak in the California Gold Rush of 1849. Malnourished miners were willing to pay a lot for a single lemon. Today, California is still full of lemon trees as a result.
- In 2003, the heaviest lemon ever grown was recorded in Israel. It weighed 11 pounds 9.7 ounces, had a circumference of 29 inches and was 13.7 inches high
With all of these additional benefits, lemon was a natural choice when formulating our products. Lemon essential oil has many benefits when used to repel head lice:
- Lemon sanitizes the scalp and promotes scalp healing.
- Clean, fruity scent.
- Helps dissolve the glue that holds nits in place.
- Anti-fungal and acidic properties help to treat dandruff.
- High vitamin C content helps strengthen hair.